Dardsley - Early years from the 1880s
It is known that the land on Brownedge Road in Lostock Hall was acquired in 1886 and that at this time Dardsley was built as a home and practice for Dr Thomas Sharples and his family. It is not yet known why the building was called ‘Dardsley’.
The plans show a stable block, a consulting room, a surgery and domestic/family rooms. The current Waiting Room was an open cobbled yard at this time.
Patients had to pay for their consultations.
In 1908 Thomas’ son, Sydney qualified as a doctor and joined the practice.
As with most middle-class homes of this time, live-in servants ran the household. As a young man Fred Brown first drove the doctor’s horse and trap and later his car and maintained the garden. His sister was a maid. Thirsa Kay was maid and housekeeper from about 1900 to 1943.
1886-87 plans of Dardsley, courtesy of Lancashire Records Office
Building work reveals stable block archway
(l-r) Thirsa Kay, Mrs Sharples, Fred Brown and his sister, c.1920.
1905 medical bill from Dr Thomas Sharples
(Courtesy Graham Hayes)